Thursday, July 1, 2010

Edinburgh
















Choosing not to go along the motorway we took the A7 instead, from the Lakes District to Edinburgh which was a more scenic drive. We passed through Hawick,the area where the Pringle knitting mills were once the main source of employment in that town. We both liked Edinburgh and found the day at the Castle very interesting. Michael can be seen standing in the doorway to St Margaret's Chapel, the oldest building in the Castle grounds dating back to the 12th century. They must have been very short people in those days.
En-route to the castle we went into the Edinburgh Knitting mills and saw some of the old machinery working, for display purposes only. I found this very interesting and it is a shame it has all closed down now and moved to other shores.
Our visit to see the Royal Yacht Britannia was fantastic. it wasn't as grand as I thought it would be, at least, not by today's standards. We enjoyed tea on board and yes, I remembered to lift the little finger and show a bit of style!
Afterwards we met up with my cousin Ron and his wife Eleanor. I have only met Ron once in my life and that was when I was about 8 years old. It was a wonderful reunion and so good to see them and talk about old family times.

No comments:

Post a Comment